8 Phoenix police officers hurt and woman critical after early morning gunfire as ‘suspect found dead’

Suspect dead after Phoenix shooting leaves eight police officers hospitalized, one woman critically injured

A SWAT team was called in to assist with the standoff

Phoenix police say a suspect is dead and eight officers were wounded after a standoff ended in a shooting at a home i in south Phoenix early Friday morning, around 2 a.m.

Just before 9 a.m., authorities confirmed that the suspect was dead. KPHO is working to learn more information.

Crews at the scene saw multiple officers hurt and being taken to the hospital. Police said five officers were shot at and three others were hurt by bullet shrapnel.

READ MORE STORIES  Punjabi singer Sidhu Moose Wala shot dead

The baby was literally caught in the crossfire, KPHO reported, when it was placed on the ground at the shooting scene, and officers who rushed over to rescue the infant were ambushed with a barrage of bullets.

Two officers were spotted helping one of their own during a shooting in Phoenix. Five officers...

A video captured by FOX3 NOW showed a man coming out with a baby, placing the child on the doorstep of the home, and then raising his hands to surrender.

Eight Phoenix police officers were injured on Friday morning

“As officers went to bring that baby to safety, the suspect continued to shoot – firing and striking four other officers,” Chief Williams said. “At that time, our officers returned fire.”

READ MORE STORIES  Ex-Playboy model and 'Baywatch' 'Karen' faces assault charge in spat with foul-mouthed old man on Delta flight

The suspected shooter continued to barricade himself inside the home.

Phoenix PD said eight officers were injured in total – five of them were shot and three were injured by bullet shrapnel.

The gunman was found dead inside the home.

The baby at the scene was uninjured.

Police said a woman was also shot during the incident and is in critical condition.

It wasn’t immediately clear how the woman was injured.

READ MORE STORIES  Afghan army was not ordered to fight, the former Afghan army chief said

Police are still trying to determine if the suspect, woman, and baby are all related to the gunman, and what led up to the initial shooting

“If I seem upset, I am. This is senseless and doesn’t need to happen,” Chief Williams said.

“I’m thankful our four officers are recovering, and one of them is seriously hurt but is on the road to recovery.”

As of 7am local time, police confirmed the barricade situation was resolved, and there was no active threat to the public.